Friday, May 4, 2012

Fashions for a Day at the Races

Bodemeister, one of the favorites for the 2012 Kentucky Derby
Tomorrow is the 138th running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Ky. That means for those lucky enough to attend the Derby or for those going to a Derby party, it's time to break out your best race day attire! Hats, hats, hats!

A Google image search for Kentucky Derby hats and race day fashions turned up some really fabulous hats. (And some absolutely ridiculous ones.) It seems the trend today is to have the biggest, flashiest hat possible! Flowers and feathers and bows, oh my! Don't get me wrong, I love good Gainsborough style hat. But a few I saw were just, wow, over the top. They screamed "look at me!" Of course, hat of all sorts have pretty much always been a part of the Derby fun and are as much a tradition as mint julep and the song, My Old Kentucky Home.

Churchill Downs President Matt Winn with a group of ladies at the 1938 Derby

Cherry Hill's Garden State Park Racetrack August 23, 1946
Race track fashions, 1958
Below are some great race day fashions designed by Samuel Robert. I like the pink suit with the matching hat. Not so sure about the gold pants suit.

Fashions by Samuel Robert, 1958
Fashions by Samuel Robert, 1958
One of my favorite hats (and all time favorite movies) is the black and white hat worn by Audrey Hepburn for the race track scene in the movie, My Fair Lady. It's very much a Gainsborough hat.

Are you planning on wearing a smaller hat, but are unsure of how to wear your hair? Take a look at this quick 1940s hair and hat tutorial posted today by Brittany of Va-Voom Vintage. Brittany offers a couple different hair tutorials. Just click on the tutorial/info tab on her page.

Scene from My Fair Lady


Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady
If you are watching the race tomorrow, enjoy! And don't forget your glass of mint julep!


1 comment:

  1. Cute pictures! I especially love the ones from the 40's and 50's. I want to go to the races and wear a hat :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...