Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A New Blog for the New Year!

Happy New Year everyone! After reading (and really enjoying!) several great blogs on historical costuming and accessories, I have decided to finally create a blog of my own. I’ve been collecting antique and vintage clothing since I was in high school. I began making historical clothing about the same time when I became interested in Civil War reenacting.  Now I mostly attend 18th century events so the majority of my sewing and clothing research is dedicated to that century.  However, I’m growing ever more fond of the 1870s, the 1920s, 30s, and 40s. Perhaps it’s because clothing and accessories from the 20th century are easier to come by, and more wearable. I think that there is something truly elegant about early 20th century fashion!
I recently purchased a fabulous 1940s wool suit from a local vintage shop which then led me to search for the perfect hat to go with it. I found one on Ruby Lane! Now I’m on the lookout for gloves, shoes, etc. Oh Dear! 
As a general rule when looking for original vintage pieces, I tend to look for items that I can actually wear. Or if not in wearable condition, like the 1860s silk day gown I own, at least close enough to my size that I can draft a pattern from it to recreate it. I’m beginning to branch out a little more in my collecting and go for things I might not have purchased before because I wasn’t interested in a particular time period or an item was not in my size. I still buy what I like, but I’m finding that I can learn a lot from vintage pieces even if they are beyond wearing or even displaying.  Here is a great article from the website Vintage Textile about collecting vintage clothing. Some really great tips!
With this blog I hope to be able to share some of the things I have learned by studying and recreating historic and vintage clothing and show a few items in my own collection. I look forward to and welcome your feedback!






 Not the best pictures but here are two images of my 1940s Daniel Green slippers
  And two more image just for fun... I found this black pair somewhere on the internet, can't remember where but they are identical to mine except for the color. They even have their original box!


There is another pair in ivory listed here on Ruby Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...